We want Barcelona to have a clear strategy for attracting global decision centres in the field of NGOs, think tanks and global foundations. For that reason we work closely with the Barcelona International Policy Sector Action Plan that aims to transform Barcelona into a global centre of reference in international public policy by creating and marketing a strong series of incentives capable of attracting a critical mass of the world's leading international public policy organisations, foundations, and think tanks to Barcelona. Ratified and endorsed by more than 30 of Barcelona's most prominent international policy organisations, the plan was presented at a high-profile ceremony in July 2015. The project is led by Mark Freeman, Executive Director of the Institute for Integrated Transitions (IFIT) and a Barcelona Global member.
- 360-degree partnership across the city’s public, private and policy sectors.
- Concrete incentives to attract leading international policy actors to transfer some or all of their global operations to Barcelona.
- A global "call for applications" in order to create a special opportunity for leading international actors to consider a move to Barcelona.
- An independent and technically-specialised secretariat to guide the successful implementation of the Action Plan.
- The Secretariat of the Action Plan already has its headquarters in the Pavelló Sant Jordi at Recinte Modernista de Sant Pau, hosted by BIPP HUB, a social company that offers work spaces of quality, knowledge, management of projects, and services for actors in the sector of international public policies of Barcelona.
- We have signed an agreement with the Fundació 'La Caixa' for the Barcelona International Policy Sector Action Plan, who will make a contribution of 100,000 euros.
- One of the first success stories of the Action Plan is HEAR (Higher Education Alliance for Refugees), an initiative to create networks for access to higher education for refugees, migrants and displaced populations, and now works specifically in the case of Syria.