Barcelona Global boosts the university internationalization in the new LOSU
Barcelona Global works to position Barcelona as a global hub in higher education and turn this sector into a focus of opportunity and economic activity for the city.
Since the end of 2019 we have been working together with a group of experts to promote the necessary steps to position Barcelona as a destination for international university and postgraduate students.
Last Thursday the new LOSU Law was approved, which includes some of the advances promoted by Barcelona Global. We summarize the main achievements that Barcelona Global has achieved in this project to internationalize higher education:
- Promote international inter-university alliances that are also those that allow the duration of the degrees to be 3 years, the majority in the rest of Europe.
- Include, for the first time, a whole section on internationalization, according to which the Government, the CCAA and the universities will develop strategies to internationalize the university system.
- Expedite the process of the study visas to attract talent.
- Facilitate that foreign students who finish their studies can extend the visa to work for a minimum period of two years.
- Include in the Law an article to create a web page in English in order to simplify, digitize and expedite the process of obtaining a visa.
All these achievements will improve Barcelona's position as a benchmark in the generation, attraction, retention and return of impact talent.